History of The Avenues

Development from 1890 — 1930

Victorian/Edwardian developments originally consisted of large houses, or villas, set in extensive gardens with mature trees, hedges and distinctive brick or stone walls, with many enjoying a rural outlook and sea views. A stroll through this part of The Avenues reveals the tranquil beauty and air of maturity, which is still evident today despite recent developments — an impression which is strengthened by a sense of character and history which pervade the atmosphere.

Development 1930s — 1950s

During the 1930s and 1940s, development took place in the area between the boundary of Salterton Road at Cranford View up to Littleham Cross, down Cranford Avenue to its western end, including all roads off, together with the oval area shown on this map, enclosing the section of Douglas Avenue between Merrion Avenue and Mayfield Drive and the western corner of Cranford Avenue back to Merrion Avenue.

Post 1950 Development

This era extended Douglas Avenue from Merrion Avenue north-eastwards to Littleham Road. It consists predominantly of more modest detached dwellings occupying smaller plots and sited closer to the road than their predecessors. The part of Douglas Avenue, closer to Exmouth Town Centre has many apartment blocks.